Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Counterfeit Gods


Lately I have been learning so much about Idolatry. Not just in my own personal time, but also Pastor Spencer has been teaching a series on Knowing God, and No Idols. So many things have hit home for me as I learn and grow. Right now I am going through the book Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller. Such a great book, he points out so many very clear points that I would have never even thought maybe idols. I like also in his book how the main "Counterfeit God" is tied in with a biblical example of it.

Today I learned of the idol of power/pride. I feel like this is a daily battle for me, overcoming pride. I am so thankful to lay all my sins at the foot of the cross and be daily forgiven for the idols and sins that I struggle with and by His grace He forgives me time and time again.

The Chapter that I really appreciated was chapter 2, was on Leah, Rachel and Jacob. And making sure that we don't put love or the idea of it or even somebody in place of God, who should be our love. Jacob loved Rachel so so much and was captivated by her beauty and would do ANYTHING to be with her, even after his father in law tricked him and originally given him Leah. I learned a lot from Leah during this chapter, she was the less desirable one, yet the LORD never forgot about her, and the Lord blessed her abundantly with the conception of many children, and Rachel for a time was not able to do that.

The Bible repeatedly shows us weak people who don't deserve God's grace, don't seek it and don't appreciate it even after they received it. No human being male or female will ever be that PERFECT someone, someone who will never disappoint you, always be faithful in to you in words, or plans. There is only one who can be that. Jesus Christ. I like the phrase that the author said in this chapter, and I hope that you will pick up this book and read it for yourself, and maybe my babbling will make a little more sense ;) But he says. " It means no matter what we put our hopes in, in the morning, It is always Leah, never Rachel.

I hope this made sense, I clearly enjoyed this chapter and am still enjoying this book, and I hope you will too. I am daily needing His grace, forgiveness and love. I am such a wicked sinner. Loved and forgiven by a Perfect Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment